You workout frequently and try to eat right, but still aren’t seeing the results you desire. Check of this list of habits that could be ruining your progress.
- Consuming Hidden Calories: Throughout the day you may consume calories without noticing and in aggregate these could be stunting your progress. Not only are you eating unnecessary calories, but you could be ruining your appetite for your healthy meals. Examples of hidden calories include: breakroom treats, tasting while you cook and finishing off your kid’s food to avoid waste.
- What to do: Take a moment and access your day and see where hidden calories are coming in and then avoid them in the future.
- Drinking Calories – Not Eating Them: Consuming sugary beverages—including sodas, fruit drinks, adult beverages, and flavored waters could be preventing your gains. Liquids are less filling than eating real food and may lead to overconsumption of calories
- What to do: Avoid sugary beverages and alcohol as much as possible and limit dairy beverages and fruit-based beverages to no more than 150 calories per day.
- Not getting enough sleep: Insufficient sleep is linked to excess weight and obesity, because being tired negatively impacts areas of the brain that help us make informed, healthier choices.
- What to do: Try to get more sleep. There is no 1-size fits all number, but healthy adults should aim for 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Adding Sauces and Toppings to Your Foods: Calories from salad dressings, jellies and other topping can increase your calorie and sodium intake without providing additional nutrition.
- What to do: Make homemade dressing and even fruit topping for pancakes. For dressings mix vinegar and olive oil. Try different varieties of vinegar including red wine and balsamic. To make a homemade fruit topping, combine fresh fruit, water and a little agave nectar and cook. Both are simple, delicious and guilt free.
Be sure to reach out to a Coach if you have any questions!